Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SPINACH, GOATS, THE GYM AND HOUSEWIVES

I'M TURNING HEALTHY! I've always been a pretty healthy person, but since moving here I'm not gonna lie, I've put on a pound or three or five. The buttery goodness, biscuits, grits, fried everything, dining out while traveling for work.... and drinking beer at the lake, in the yard, on the couch, on the lawnmower, in a canoe, in the woods, in a tree, in the bathtub will do that to a girl. So, remember when I said I was paying an average of $22 per elliptical session. Not anymore! I'm down to $21 per session. Take that Golds Gym! 

But, especially since Country Man moved and I'm missing him like crazy, it helps to keep my mind and body occupied so I've been going more often...and trying to meet gym friends, who aren't 40 and up, real housewives of Atlanta gym friends, who like to do pilates and then go drink wine, shop and eat lunch by the pool. 

Okay, who am I kidding, I like to do all that stuff to! But, I'm certainly not a housewife. And if I ever am one, I won't be on that show...and I'll still shop at Target and I'll have goats in my backyard and make fresh goat cheese. Or, I'll hire someone to milk the goats. Sorry, sidetracked. I'll save the goat obsession for later. I just realized I really sounded kind of hickish there...oh goodness, it is innate now. Oops!
Okay, but real quick!! LOOK. GOATS!
You know you love them!!
And want to make cheese from them!
Okay, I'll stop now. I promise


Moving on!
Food tip of the day: spinach spinach spinach spinach SPINACH

When eating enchiladas do you usually eat 2? I do...mainly because that is what a restaurant will give you. Well, yesterday, I had leftover enchiladas, so I grabbed ONE up for lunch. But, I threw a big handful of spinach on top before heating it up. The spinach cooked down and warmed up with the enchilada, giving me half the fat and twice the greens, and feeling just as satisfied. Spinach can do that for you with a lot of different things. If you don't like it, teach yourself to! It is one of the Earth's greatest, natural, heart-healthy, nutrient-dense gifts to us: filled with iron, flavonoids (antioxidants), fiber and omega 3. I try to throw organic spinach into as many meals as I can - it is extremely versatile. 

I've learned to like it plain, but its also good drizzled with a little olive oil and garlic, crushed red pepper or whatever other spices compliment what you are adding it to. I throw it in pasta, on top of pizza, on burgers, in burritos and sandwiches, in omelets, in my cereal. 

Just kidding! I was making sure you were still reading and not bored by the anatomy of spinach. 
Does spinach have anatomy? I guess all living things do... 
Wow...here I go again. Always getting sidetracked. 
Now my mind is thinking of spinach with body parts. I am so weird and sick and twisted. I know.

Here is an anatomical spinach/ pasta creation. I didn't take a picture of my enchilada yesterday, and this picture was in my phone archives from about a week ago. But, my enchilada looked a little strange with spinach on top of it anyway... and I don't want to scare you. Plus I'd already eaten half before I thought to take a photo. 
Trader Joes lemon pepper pappardelle pasta cooked according to instructions, I always add extra lemon juice and fresh ground pepper after its cooked. SauteĆ© a couple pieces of cooked shrimp and sausage in olive oil and spices. Drizzle spinach with a little vinaigrette ( I used wishbone raspberry hazelnut to add sweetness with the spice) and throw in the pan with shrimp & sausage to warm for the last minute. Combine it with the cooked pasta and top with goat cheese. Of course it had goat cheese!
Again, the beauty part of the spinach is that it is a space-filler, stomach-satisfier and nutrient-provider. You'll end up eating half the amount of carbs but since it is all mixed together you don't lose on flavor. 

Here are some other spinach photos I had in my phone from all the times I pretend I am a foodie, pioneer, chef, food network star, foodographer and creative genius.
I don't feel guilty about all the meat & cheese because it is on a flaxseed sandwich thin and loaded with spinach.
haha,  I am telling you - this justification thing works.
spinach for breakfast?? You know it!
I already took a bite before I took the photo....very un-foodnetwork-star of me


 I tricked you! This one is kale. But we can save that for another day. Aren't you soooo excited?!? I sense that sarcasm! Well, you should be....because if you think spinach is good for you, KALE, my friends, is pretty much the healthiest thing that humans are capable of eating. You just have to know how to prepare it, otherwise it can be "not so gentle" on the stomach.

And if that didn't entice you, I don't know what will...
stay tuned

xoxo my turning country, turning healthy lovers






No comments:

Post a Comment