Wednesday, August 15, 2012

THE SLOW DEMISE OF A CUBICLE-DWELLER

What exactly am I looking for? 
BOOM! right off the bat.
Pretty loaded question for an ordinary Wednesday, right? 
Get ready for some deep thoughts....this blog is no place for doggie paddlers.

Everyone feels entitled to their own: happiness, well-being, health, wealth, prosperity, love-life, adventures, vacations, food, fun and friends. But, what are we actually entitled to? Nothing. The world owes us….nothing. We owe the world our talents, love, kindness, gentleness and passion!
I am certain about one thing and one thing only: that I am loved. And that is wonderful. 

Yet, I am the type of person that seems to be in a constant search. You know those types… and they probably drive you freaking crazy!! Well, sorry, but I am one of those. We constantly are soul-searching, proclaiming our passions, changing our ambitions, career paths, college majors, hobbies, interests, etc. The only constant is being loved and loving in return. But, everything else is cyclical and dwells within the different seasons and chapters of my life (or whatever analogy you want to use). I like to think that I’m just interested in a million different things and want to learn about everyone and everything that I possibly can in this world. Some might attribute it to ADD, but I’ve never actually been tested for that because I think it is far too over-diagnosed. And I don't need Ritalin YO!! Oh look at the bunnies. I like pickles. Did I turn off my straightening iron?

I do know one thing though, this cubicle is eating my soul. Not in the same way that Las Vegas will.... fortunately I moved to the humble South before that happened! And to all my friends who still live in Vegas, your souls are golden and good, so you don't need to worry. But I do! Because these cubicle walls are a fortress: a highly-air-conditioned “soundproof” (joke of the year) fortress.
My brain is squished. 
Does anybody like working in a cubicle? 
I really truly want to hear from you if you do. 
Does anybody like working in an office? 

I want to work outside, or at least open a window. 
Right now I'm trying to leap inside a calendar!
And it isn't working!!!

I've decided, I want to be a zookeeper. Okay maybe not...
I don’t actually know what that entails, probably far more poop than I’m willing to handle. 
If you had to choose: cubicle-dweller or zookeeper, what would you choose?

Okay serious questions though. Riddle me this. 
How do you cope with cubicle-life?
Are you using your talents and living with passion?
Do you have a window in your office? ;)
Do you like to shovel poop?
Do you ever shove your face onto a calendar of Hawaii and try to morph yourself inside?
AND lastly,
Do you think the world owes us or that we owe the world?

Talk to me goose.



8 comments:

  1. Gosh, you could not have picked a more perfect time to write this and for me to read it! No, just because you have all these thoughts and ideas on what you want or should do doesn't qualify you for having ADD lol ! It means you just have a lot to offer the world in many ways! Dear God I cant tell you (well I am sure I have) how many times I am like am I on the right path and going the right way. Is doing something with food my calling or should I just go be a bus driver... lol! Dont let that cubical eat you alive! Hey look at it this way.....being in the cubical gives you time to think about what you really want to do.....and BS around and call me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - think about how much has changed for both of us in just one year. And no, I don't think you should just go be a bus driver, lol....unless that really is your dream, then of course I'll support it! I really really really think you should come visit me soon though. You would fall in love with the South, I know you would! And then I'd keep you here forever!! Muaahaha!

      Delete
  2. Hi Beauty this is Country Man, here to give you my answers to your questions.
    1. I wouldn't know what cubicle life is. The closest I have come to working in a cubicle is running circuits to cubicles to plug in your computer. But I'm sure I would not be a big fan of cubicle life.
    2. At the moment I don't think I am using all my talents but anything I do I do with passion and do the job to the fullest.
    3. I do not have a window in the sandwich shop but I'm not tied down I can go out the back door when I need to get some fresh air.
    4. No, I am not shoveling poop but I have. I would prefer shoveling poop than sitting in a cubicle.
    5. I don't try and shove my face into beach pictures haha. But I do think about where I would rather be during the day.
    And lastly No, the world doesn't owe us anything. If anything we owe the world. The world has let us scar her face with roads and buildings while also letting us plow up the land and raise food. We owe the world big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, I like how you answered all of my questions literally. You are amazing my Country Man and always know how to encourage me. And instead of shoving my face onto pictures of Hawaii ;) I'll work hard so that we can actually go to Hawaii someday!

      Delete
  3. How do you cope with cubicle-life?
    - I love my cubicle life, because I love my job.
    Are you using your talents and living with passion?
    - Some days I am more motivated than other days, but I would say overall, I am using my talents, and love what I do
    Do you have a window in your office?
    - Multiple windows!! With a sky light :)
    Do you like to shovel poop?
    - I wouldn't mind it so much, but probably would rather shovel something else.
    Do you ever shove your face onto a calendar of Hawaii and try to morph yourself inside?
    - No, it would hurt too much.
    Do you think the world owes us or that we owe the world?
    - The world is amazingly beautiful, and it's a shame that we do not take better care of it! But at the end of the day, if we love J.C., and we stand for what he stands for, then this world would be a better place. So I guess, we really owe it all to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia what do you do now? I haven't talked to you in awhile. I'm glad you are so happy :) and I completely agree with your last statement!

      Delete
  4. Rach! I miss you and I love your new-ish blog! When are you going to do standup?

    How do you cope with cubicle-life?
    I don't do cubicle life, I'm a free agent.

    Are you using your talents and living with passion?
    Yes, absolutely. Trying to envision and get new things off the ground.

    Do you have a window in your office? ;)
    I usually work from cafes, or from home. Both typically have windows. I try to avoid nerd-dungeons, unless it's for sexual purposes.

    Do you like to shovel poop?
    No. I have to do this for my cats. It sucks.

    Do you ever shove your face onto a calendar of Hawaii and try to morph yourself inside?
    If I had a Hawaii calendar, you betcha I would!

    AND lastly,
    Do you think the world owes us or that we owe the world?
    I don't think that the 'world owes us' and I pity folks who go around feeling entitled – we are not entitled, we are blessed. I think that when we are blessed, we owe the world service. I like the idea of service without sacrifice; we have to take care of ourselves so that we can extend our blessings out to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess - thanks for your thoughtful response, especially the "service without sacrifice" bit, I haven't looked at it that way before. I was checking out your site http://www.thejessicabrown.com/ and your work is amazing!!! Yes, everyone I have a beautiful friend who also happens to be a computer-science genius from Stanford University! Those are hard to come by! ;) I remember working from http://www.philzcoffee.com/ in SF when I stayed with you for a few weeks, and it was awesome! Lucky you get to do that every day! I would probably spend wayyyyy too much on lattes and muffins. lol. I miss you! I think we need to plan a reunion soon. Glad you are doing well!

      Delete